How to increase boiler efficiency
By: Shell Energy
26 Jan 2023
There are many benefits to having an energy-efficient boiler. Not only will it generate more heat while helping you save on your energy bills, but it can also go some way to reducing your carbon emissions.
So, to help you get the most from your central heating system, here's our guide to boiler efficiency.
How to check your boiler’s energy efficiency rating
Checking your boiler’s efficiency ratings is easy. Newer boilers have a handy sticker displaying the energy efficiency rating.
If you can't see a sticker, you can check your boiler’s rating by making a note of the brand name and model, and entering those details into this website.
Then, look for the 'seasonal efficiency' information, which is a reliable figure of your boiler's performance over the course of a year.
Six ways to maximise your boiler’s efficiency
If you're looking to optimise the efficiency of your boiler, read on.
1) Get into the habit of regularly checking your boiler pressure. Low pressure can lead to faults developing and an increase to your energy bills. Want to know more? Here's our guide to boiler pressure.
2) When boiler pipes get clogged up with dust it impairs performance, which can affect efficiency and prove costly. So be sure to regularly clean the outside of your boiler pipes to ensure they're free from dust.
3) As well as dusting pipes, bleeding the radiators in your home will help ensure there are no cold spots in your system and that you're getting the most from your boiler's energy output. Find out how to bleed your radiators with our step-by-step guide.
4) Consider ways of using your boiler more efficiently, such as getting a smart thermostat, which allows you to create the ideal heating schedule for your home based on the rooms you and your family use the most.
5) Having an annual boiler service will help it run at peak performance all year-round. You can enjoy boiler cover through HomeServe from £8 per month, with a free boiler service in the first year*.
6) If you decide the best solution for your property is a new boiler, our boiler replacement offer with HomeServe includes a free quote on a new boiler, plus flexible payment options.
Choosing the most efficient boiler for your home
If your boiler is more than 10 years old, you might want to consider replacing it if you’re having issues with it on a regular basis.
Technology has also moved on considerably, meaning that if your boiler is over 10 years old it may well be worth thinking about replacing it in order to benefit from maximum boiler efficiency.
The best choice of boiler for your home depends on a number of things, including the size of your property. The boiler needs to be able to cope with the demand for heating and hot water in your home. Too small a boiler will mean the rooms won't be hot enough and baths or showers are more likely to be tepid.
In general, the most popular types of boilers are:
- Combi: Perfect for smaller homes, single-unit combi boilers heat water as required, so you always have hot water on demand
- Heat-only: Perfect for larger homes, heat-only systems use a cold-water feed and hot water tank that stores water
- System: Similar to heat-only boilers, but with more integrated components - so there's no need for a water tank
*Terms and Conditions apply.