How to make an energy complaint

We aim to serve and support our customers to the highest possible standard, so if you have a complaint, we want to resolve it quickly and effectively. Our customer service team is ready to help address any issues. Here’s how to get in touch with them: 

By phone: Call us on 0330 094 5800. Lines are open 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday.

With Text Relay (using a text phone): Dial 18001, then 0330 094 5800.

By post: Energy Customer Services, Shell Energy, PO Box 6363, Coventry, CV3 9LR.

What happens next

We aim to resolve all complaints as soon as we can. It can take longer if the complaint needs more detailed investigation.

If you get in touch online or by post, and we can’t reach you by phone, we’ll write within 10 working days.

To resolve your complaint, we will:

  • Apologise when we’ve let you down
  • Explain what went wrong
  • Take action to put it right
  • Offer compensation, when appropriate.

This may include when we have failed to meet our sales and marketing obligations.

We’ll close your complaint when:

  • All necessary actions have been taken to resolve the issue
  • You’re happy with the outcome
  • You’re happy for the complaint to be closed

Where we’ve not been able to confirm resolution of your issue, we can always re-open the complaint if you need us to.

The information on this page is available for you to download and print.  

Download the information on this page.

How to escalate your complaint

If you’re still not satisfied, you can call us on 0330 094 5800. Lines are open 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday.

How to get independent advice

You can get help with an energy problem if you are struggling to pay your energy bill or if you have a problem with your meter.

Citizens Advice and Advice Direct Scotland are the official sources of free and independent energy advice and support.

If you live in England or Wales, go to or contact the Citizens Advice consumer service on 0808 223 1133. For Relay UK, call 18001 then 0808 223 1133. To contact a Welsh-speaking adviser call 0808 223 1144. Calls are free.

If you live in Scotland, go to or contact Advice Direct Scotland on 0808 196 8660. Calls are free.

For British Sign Language enquiries, go to

If you’re still not satisfied

If we’ve let you know we’ve done all we can do to resolve your complaint and you’re still not satisfied - or if it hasn’t been resolved within eight weeks of first being raised - you can refer your complaint to the Energy Ombudsman. You must contact them within 12 months of us letting you know we’ve done all we can to resolve your complaint (sometimes called the ‘deadlock’ letter).

The Energy Ombudsman is a free and independent service. They can ask us to apologise, explain, take action to resolve the issue, and/or make a financial award. The Energy Ombudsman's final decision is binding on us. Learn more about the Ombudsman process

You can contact them:

By phone: 0330 440 1624.

By email:

By post: Energy Ombudsman, PO Box 966, Warrington, WA4 9DF.

Read how we’ve dealt with previous complaints.

If you experience issues with loss of electricity supply, you should contact your distribution company directly. Their contact number is shown on your bill as the Emergency Number. If you can smell gas, or are experiencing problems with loss of gas supply, you should call the Gas Emergency Service on freephone 0800 111 999.

You can find more information on our Guaranteed Standards of Performance Policy, or contact us on 0330 094 5800 to ask for a copy.