Treating you fairly - Our Standards of Conduct
Treating customers fairly
At Shell Energy, delivering low prices and great customer service is at the heart of everything we do. We do our best to understand what you need and work hard every day to get better at the things that matter to you. Being fair to our customers is perhaps the single most important factor in achieving that. Our Standards of Conduct help us to ensure that we remain fair at all times.
We want you to know what we’ve achieved this year in our efforts to treat all our customers fairly. We don’t always get it right, so we also want you to know the challenges we’ve faced and what we’ve done to meet those challenges. We know there’s still much work to do and we’re continuing on our journey to making your Shell Energy experience as straight-forward and reliable as we can.
Our Standards of Conduct help us to ensure that we treat you fairly at all times.
We promise to:
- Ensure that we deliver low prices, and that you will always have the information you need to choose the tariff that is right for you
- Listen to you and understand your needs
- Behave and carry out any actions in a fair, honest, transparent, appropriate and professional manner
- Provide information that:
- is complete, accurate and not misleading
- is communicated in plain and clear language
- will enable you to make the right choices about your energy supply
- Make it easy for you to contact us
- Put things right if we make a mistake
- Treat you as an individual, giving you extra help and support when you need it
- Always keep you properly informed so that you have the right information to make the right choices
Understanding your needs
Your feedback is important to us. To understand your needs, we need to know what’s important to you. We offer a feedback service on our website to allow you to comment on anything we do that you like, and to offer your thoughts on what we can do to make things better. We will also seek out your views wherever possible. For example this year, we began a huge, ongoing campaign to install Smart Meters for our customers. We’ve been seeking views about their experiences so that we can improve the installation process.
Making it easy for you to get in touch
In 2016, Ofgem evaluated the experience of customers who had complained to their energy supplier during 2015. Some of our feedback was not as good as we would have either hoped or expected, so this was a great opportunity for us to learn about what we could do differently to improve how we handle our customers’ concerns. We commissioned an independent audit, the results of which were really encouraging in terms of demonstrating the improvements we had made since 2015. It also identified some excellent practices in addressing complaints which we are busy implementing in order to improve your experience should you have reason to complain.
This is how fairness has guided our approach:
- In addition to the more traditional means of getting in touch, our customers can now choose to use independent complaints service Resolver to help with their concerns
- We offer a range of ways to contact us
- All your calls are answered within a UK call centre, and we do not use premium rate phone numbers
Giving you extra help when you need it
Our staff training and development programme has been re-designed around a set of core values: Reliable, Engaging, Pioneering and Straightforward (REPS). This will ensure that we put you - our customer - at the heart of everything we do. We also help eligible customers apply for our Warm Home Discount scheme. We’re thinking more and more about how we can recognise the individuality of our customers and how your circumstances and needs are unique. We offer additional services for our vulnerable customers to make life easier, including entry onto our Priority Service Register (PSR). We felt we could do more to identify customers who needed our help, and we are now improving the way we collect and process this information as a result.
Delivering products and services with your needs in mind
We’re keen to innovate and deliver products and services which will deliver the right outcome for you. We’ve taken a good look at what makes your experience more straight-forward, helpful and enjoyable, and we’re developing products with that in mind.
We make it easy for you to manage your account online in your own My Account section or via our mobile app. We know that the information about tariffs and energy consumption can be complex and confusing. We’re putting even more thought into how we can simplify things - giving you the information you need to make the right choices. We’ll be monitoring our success by seeking your feedback.
We also offer a market leading online energy saving tool called My Energy, to help you reduce your energy consumption.
Making things easier to understand
We have changed the layout of our bills to make it clearer and easier to engage with your energy usage and understand what tariffs are better for you. We’re reviewing our website to make it easier to find the information you need. Plus there's our Mobile App, which is the highest rated household energy supplier app. It provides a range of online features which help you save energy and, therefore, your money on the go. Over half a million people have installed the app, which is available on both the iOS and Android platforms The app includes the following features:
- Use Touch ID to log in on iOS
- Submit meter reads and view past readings (with automatic camera readings on iOS)
- View monthly bills and payments to stay on top of your spending
- Choose the right payment method for you
- Top up the credit on your account by using a debit or credit card
- Straightforward usage charts that help you keep an eye on what you are using
- Get advice from our virtual assistant Ask Us about your account
- Reduce your usage of energy by using our energy saving tips
- Get in touch with our award winning customer services team directly from the app
The year ahead
We’re continuing to develop technology that will provide you with the tools you need to take full control of your energy - conveniently and at any time of the day:
- We’re offering to install Smart Meters for all our customers, giving you greater control over your energy than ever before
- We’ll be monitoring all our policies and processes to ensure we apply our Standards of Conduct to all of our decision making, and putting our customers first
- We’re working with Government to roll--out environmental measures to reduce carbon emissions in the UK
Revisiting our commitments
We understand that our behaviours characterise our values, so we want you to be confident that we are using our standards of conduct to embed a customer centric approach to all of our decisions that affect you, to make sure you have a positive experience with Shell Energy.
We are committed to review our performance against our standards on an ongoing basis and to release a new Treating Customers Fairly statement annually which will serve to update you on the progress we have made and our next steps.
You can contact us by: